rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Movies » Halle Berry makes history with iconic Vogue cover

Halle Berry makes history with iconic Vogue cover

Last updated on: August 13, 2010 14:51 IST

Halle Berry makes history with iconic Vogue cover

     Next

Next

Get your low down on what's happening in the world of Hollywood, right here!

Halle Berry has done it again.

 

After becoming the first woman of African American descent to win an Oscar for Best Actress for her role in Monster's Ball, the actress has now become the first African-American woman to appear on the cover of the iconic magazine's September issue, considered in fashion circles to be year's most important issue.

 

'What that means for a woman of colour and what that means in the fashion world, what that means to pop culture, there was no way I could say, "No I'm not going to be on the biggest issue of the year,"' Mail Online quoted Berry as telling Vogue in an interview.

 

She also broke her silence about the split from model Gabriel Aubry in April.

 

The Academy Award-winning actress said it was a long time coming with Aubry, her model boyfriend, who is the father to her two-year-old daughter, Nahla.

 

'Gabriel and I had long dealt with it,' the New York Daily News quoted Berry as telling Vogue of her split.

 

'We were done. And we were on a good foot, and we had decided what we were going to do for Nahla, and we were able to say, ''This will pass.'''

 

Berry goes on to say that there are "no discord" and "no fighting" with Aubry, whom she calls an "amazing father."

 

'We have always been friends, we're still friends, we love each other very much and we both share the love of our lives,' she said.

 

'And we are both 100 percent committed to being the best parents we can be ... She will see as she grows that we have a lot of love for each other,' she added.

 

Despite ending their nearly four-year relationship, Berry seems to be taking the break up positively.

 

'You realize you are not meant to go the distance with everybody,' she said.

 

'We were meant to bring this amazing little person into the world. And I think that's why we came together. And because of that, we are going to be together forever, all three of us. We are a family until we are not here anymore.'

 

Moreover, Berry said she is still open for love.

 

'I'm not done with love, but I refuse to settle.

 

'I am a hopeless romantic. And I won't stop till I get it right,' she added.

 

Click Next for more Hollywood news


Image: Halle Berry

     Next

The return of James Bond

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Daniel Craig might soon return to the screen as James Bond for a third time, as the beleaguered Hollywood studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) is close to sealing a deal to make the next 007 thriller.

 

The debt-ridden studio had thrown its plans to make new movies, including the next 007 film, into disarray.

 

The 23rd Bond movie had been due for release in 2012, the 50th anniversary of Ian Fleming's spy character's first outing in Dr No.

 

However, producers Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli said earlier this year that work had been halted indefinitely because of uncertainty about MGM's future.

 

Craig backed the producers' decision but it left plans for him to reprise the role in limbo, reports the Telegraph.

 

He received strong reviews for his first two Bond outings in Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace.

 

MGM's problems also cast a shadow over plans to film The Hobbit, to which the studio owns half the rights, and director Guillermo del Toro resigned after production delays.

 

Now MGM is on the verge of a deal with Spyglass Entertainment, which is run by Hollywood film producers Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum, and was responsible for films including The Sixth Sense and Memoirs of a Geisha.

 

The deal is expected to go through within days and Spyglass would be likely to concentrate on pushing through the Bond and Hobbit movies.

 

MGM owes about 4 billion dollars to around 140 creditors, including a major bank and hedge fund, and has been struggling to pay interest on its debts.

 

The studio is currently in the hands of a consortium, which includes Sony, Comcast and several private equity firms.


Image: Daniel Craig

Prev     Next

Jolie supports Aniston

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Angelina Jolie has apparently defended Jennifer Aniston after the former Friends star was slammed by a US television host, Bill O'Reilly over her comments on motherhood.

 

Entertainment website Popeater has quoted a friend of Jolie defending Aniston and her views on single parents.

 

Jolie was herself raised in a single-parent household and adopted her first child, Maddox, on her own.

 

'She agrees with Jennifer that a woman doesn''t need a man to start a family to be a good mother,' the Sydney Morning Herald quoted columnist Rob Shuter as stating.

 

'For Bill to take issue with this statement is him taking issue with every single parent in the world,' Shuter added.

 

Meanwhile, Aniston has hit back at the Fox News host for calling her 'destructive to society'.

 

She lashed out after Bill O'Reilly slammed her on his show, claiming her statements about single parenthood set a bad example for children.

 

'Of course, the ideal scenario for parenting is obviously two parents of a mature age,' the New York Daily News quoted her as telling People magazine.

 

'Parenting is one of the hardest jobs on earth.

 

'And, of course, many women dream of finding Prince Charming (with fatherly instincts), but for those who've not yet found their Bill O'Reilly, I'm just glad science has provided a few other options,' she added.

 

O'Reilly had criticized Aniston over comments she made while promoting her new film The Switch, a comedy about artificial insemination.

 

'Women are realizing more and more that you don't have to settle, they don't have to fiddle with a man to have that child,' Aniston said.


Image: Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie
Photographs: Eric Gaillard/Reuters and NBC/Handout/Reuters
Prev     Next

No botox for me: Teri Hatcher

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Desperate Housewives star Teri Hatcher has posted a number of candid photographs of hers on the Internet in a bid to prove to her critics that she has not had any Botox.

Hatcher, 45, took to her Facebook.com page to publish nine candid pictures of herself without any makeup in an album entitled, "Oy with the Botox!"

The actress, who is pictured contorting her face and showing off different expressions to prove she's embraced her fine lines, admitted to having used facial-freezing injections in the past but has stopped now.

'Thought about all those damn critics of my face. Love it or hate it, my face that is, no surgery, no implants, no matter what 'they' say,' the Daily Star quoted her as commenting on one of the pictures. 

'Decided I'd shoot myself in (sic) to reveal some truths about 'beauty' and hope it makes you all easier on yourself.

'Did I ever toy with fillers or Botox over the years? Yes. (But) tell me does this look Botoxed to you?

'Yes I am alone in my bathroom naked in a towel on behalf of women everywhere trying to make a point. Women YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL,' she stated.


Image: Teri Hatcher
Photographs: Fred Prouser/Reuters
Prev     Next

Jessica Alba's run-in with the cops!

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Fantastic Four star Jessica Alba is said to have been stopped by the police for allegedly speeding while driving through Los Angeles.

Alba, 29, was driving her luxury Yukon sports utility vehicle when a Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) officer pulled her over in Beverly Hills on August 11, the Daily Star reported.

According to TMZ.com, the actress cooperated fully with the police and reportedly told them that she was driving quickly to avoid nearby paparazzi.

She is said to have been let off with a warning for the alleged violation.


Image: Jessica Alba

Prev     Next

From aliens to hookers?

Prev     More
Prev

More

Former X Files star Gillian Anderson is set to appear in a racy BBC2 drama about Victorian prostitutes.

The actress will join Atonement's Romola Garai, Richard E Grant, the IT Crowd's Chris O'Dowd and Mark Gatiss in the four-parter, The Crimson Petal and the White.

Romola plays Sugar, a hooker plucked from the brothel by a wealthy man.

'It's a really fresh and surprising cast that will bring this provocative tale to life,' the Mirror quoted a BBC spokesman as saying.
 
 


Image: Gillian Anderson
Photographs: Danilo Krstanovic /Reuters
Prev     More