Angelina Jolie meets Pak flood victims
Get your low down on what's happening in the world of Hollywood, right here!
Hollywood star Angelina Jolie, who recently donated USD 100,000 for victims of Pakistan's devastating floods, on Tuesday met people affected by the deluge in the country's restive northwest.
Jolie, who arrived in Pakistan to draw global attention to the plight of over 20 million people hit by the country's worst floods, toured a relief camp at Risalpur in Nowshera district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
The 35-year-old star, whose latest Hollywood hit Salt is set for release in Pakistan during the upcoming Eid-ul-Fitr festival, interacted with people living in the relief camp, especially women and children.
Jolie, accompanied by officials of UN agencies, distributed food and relief materials among the children before returning to Islamabad.
The actress is a roving envoy for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees and was among the first Western celebrities to donate for the relief of Pakistans flood victims.
In a statement, the UN refugee agency said, 'UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador Angelina Jolie arrived in Pakistan today to meet people affected by the floods and to highlight the urgent need for help. Ms Jolie, who is visiting as the personal envoy of UN High Commissioner for Refugees Antnio Guterres, is travelling to affected communities and meeting with people involved in the relief efforts.'
This is Jolie's fourth visit to Pakistan since she became a UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador in 2001. Last week, she released a video message appealing for greater public support for Pakistan's relief efforts. The floods triggered by torrential monsoon rains have killed over 1,750 people and devastated millions of acres of croplands.
Click on Next for more Hollywood snippets
Image: Angelina Jolie arrives at the Jalozai flood victim relief camp during her visit to flood affected areas and relief camps, in Pakistan's northwest Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Province.
Photographs: Fayaz Aziz/Reuters
John Travolta extortion case dropped
John Travolta has decided not to pursue an extortion case again two men accused of trying to blackmail him for 25 million dollars (16 million pounds) following the death of the actor's son.
The case was dismissed after a motion was submitted at the request of the Pulp Fiction star and his family.
Pleasant Bridgewater and Tarino Lightbourne were accused of trying to extort money from the actor following his son's death last year.
Jett Travolta, 16, died in the Bahamas in January 2009 following a seizure.
However, prosecutor Neil Braithwaite said the Travoltas wished 'to put this whole thing behind them.'
'The Travolta family has said that this matter has caused them unbelievable stress and pain,' the BBC quoted Braithwaite as saying.
Lightbourne -- a paramedic -- and his attorney Bridgewater were accused of threatening to release private information about Jett Travolta's death at the family vacation home in Grand Bahama.
It was alleged that Lightbourne threatened to sell stories suggesting Travolta was at fault over Jett's death.
Bridgewater, a former member of the Bahamian Senate, was accused of trying to negotiate a 25 million dollars (16 million pounds) payout for Mr Lightbourne.
According to a source, John Travolta said, 'the long-pending status of this matter' had taken 'a heavy emotional toll' on his family.
'After much reflection, I concluded it was in my family's best interest for me not to voluntarily return to the Bahamas to testify a second time at trial.'
Both Bridgewater and Lightbourne denied the original charges.
Image: John Travolta
Photographs: Mick Tsikas/ Reuters
Simon Cowell to quit Britain's X Factor
Music mogul Simon Cowell has revealed that he is planning to leave Britain's X Factor to concentrate on the US version of the show.
'At the moment you are going to see me doing one show next year and not one in England,' the Sun quoted him as saying.
'I have a contract for this year and that is it,' he said.
Simon, 50, dropped his bombshell as he confessed the launch of US X Factor could leave him no time to do the UK programmes.
He said he still had not decided if the UK's X Factor could go ahead without him as a judge however, said it would have to switch dates.
Simon is due to start US X Factor in September next year just as the UK show would be getting into full swing.
'It will have to move. Do people want it back?
'I am going to sit it out for a few more weeks before I make a final decision. And it has to be fun. The minute it stops being fun, bye bye,' he added.
Image: Simon Cowell
Photographs: Mario Anzuoni/ Reuters